Monday 7 June 2010

A dusty dislike for Delhi

My train arrived over 10 hours late, so Delhi and I did not get off to a great start.

A dusty smog blurred the edges of its highest buildings, choking the city as it frantically prepares to host the Commonwealth Games in October this year. The people of India are eternal optimists; from what I saw and heard, the city will never be ready in time.

Areas of the city could be mistaken as recent war zones, with the fronts of many shops, hotels and houses now heaped - haphazardly - on the streets.

I dusted down and headed for the city's main sights, including the pearly white Lotus Temple of the Baha'i faith, the Taj-like Humayan's Tomb and the spot where Mahatma Gandhi took his final footsteps before he was assassinated - a martyr for peace and democracy. But I could not escape the dust and dirt and it was a feeling a great relief to escape after just a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment