Wednesday 14 April 2010

Nerves, unpacked

The less than organised amongst you will be pleased to hear that being efficient has its disadvantages.

With days to go before I fly, I have already packed my bag and now all I have left to do is mull over the following:

1. Travelling alone. The echoes of "you must be mad!" and "your mother must be worried sick!" are clanging in my ears. I have read all there is to read and, while nothing can prepare for being flung into a entirely different culture, there are moments when I feel completely relaxed about it all!

2. The heat. As a person who is in danger of turning into a giant freckle conglomerate if left out in the sun for too long, I have found myself closing my eyes to try and imagine just how hot 40 degrees will feel (especially after a somewhat cool British Winter). I will skip over my failed attempts to sit in the sauna at my gym for more than 10 minutes.

3. Missing everyone. Yes, even you.

4. The dark. In many places in India, especially in the budget accommodation that I will be sniffing out (not literally, one hopes), the electricity cuts out over night. As a rather feeble person who insists on turning the light on before moving from my own bed, this poses somewhat of a threat - yes - a threat. Trusty head torch AND hand torch, packed.

5. And finally, the lurgy. My arms have been jabbed enough times to make my bank balance wince in pain but I know it is highly likely that I will get sick at some point during my trip. Let's hope the 'Delhi belly' quickly subsides and my bottled water skills hold out.

Thankfully, I have left over Easter eggs and impish dogs (and sisters) to keep my mind occupied for the next few days. And a Lonely Planet guide the size of Mumbai to contend with. Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment